Mindful Walking and Sitting - 13 Nov 2021

Mindful Walking and Sitting - 13 Nov 2021

Number of replies: 5

Please write the observations for the following:

Mindful Walking

• What was your focus (eg. Sole of the foot, feet touching the ground, movement of the legs etc )
  • What did you observe (eg. Floor felt cold , ground was rough, feeling of weight transfer etc )

Mindful Sitting

• What was your focus (eg. Breathing, Rising and falling of the chest, Sitting posture etc )
  • What did you observe (eg. Cold Breath going in, Warm breath coming out etc )

In reply to First post

Re: Mindful Walking and Sitting - 13 Nov 2021

by Udara Manage -

My focus was the heel of my foot. I observed that the floor was cold and quite smooth. I observed my breath falling and rising.

In mindful sitting I was focused on having a good posture and  my breath. I observed that my posture would slump after a while but then I would go back to having a straight back.

In reply to First post

by Jithnuka Jayaweera -
I was practicing some mindful walking before doing some work, I was focused on how the sole of my feet touched the ground and I was walking around my bedroom. I went around my room 20 time, and I noticed how when I was walking my feet seemed to slightly drag along the floor. I didn't experience any distractions as the mindful walking was fairly short - my room is a bit small - having to keep track of how many times I went around my room also helped me focus on the walking and not get distracted.
In reply to First post

by Chamila Jayawardhana -
Pahandee

Mindful Sitting
As the bowl rang, I first brought my attention to my surroundings, observing the sounds of cars passing by and certain creaks or noises around the house. I then brought my focus to my sitting posture, noticing how my body would sometimes shift positions in order to get comfortable. Once settled and certain that I was comfortable, I went into observing the aspects of my breathing. While breathing in, I felt cool air travelling down to my lungs and then exiting my airways when breathing out. For around 45 breaths at a time I could control my mind to stay in the present moment, only getting distracted by noises or sudden thoughts.

In reply to First post

by Seyara Karunaratne -
Seyara ACT

I Started my sitting practise by sitting in a half lotus position, then I took around 30 seconds to adjust my seated position, so I was balanced and upright. I tried to keep my back as straight and aligned as possible. Usually, I just pay attention to the rising and falling of my stomach, however this practise I made an intentional decision to count how many breaths it took until my mind wondered away from the objective, which was my breathing. For the first 40 breaths I was able to focus on the sensation and sound of my breathing. However, then my inner knee started to ache, and my mind went away to the ache, I was aware of the ache in my knee for a little while. I then bought my mind back to my breathing and continued counting each in breath and out breath. As I inhaled my lower stomach expanded, and I could feel a cold sensation at the bridge of my inner nose. When I Exhaled, I could feel a slightly warmer breath at the very tip of my nose and slightly on my upper lip. I continued to be aware of the breath sensation whilst counting each inhale end exhale. I managed to do around 60-65 breaths at most until my mind wandered. I started again and continued, and noticed my breath started to become more and more softer, until I could barely sense it, My shoulders and body felt light and at ease. From there I discontinued counting my breath and just kept being within the present moment. Shortly after the timer went off and I slowly opened my eyes.
In reply to First post

by Chamila Jayawardhana -
AKith

During mindful walking, I focussed on the lower part of my body specifically the sole of my foot. As I walked, I could feel the coldness and hardness of the tile. I could also feel my clothes touching my body and occasionally the edge of a floor tile touch the arch of my foot. I could keep my mindfulness for 1-2 laps before it wondered off. When I couldn’t fell my foot touch the ground, I realised my mind had wondered off. To bring it back, I used the noting technique, usually recognising left and right. If I do the noting technique throughout the practice, my mind usually gets into the rhythm of the left and right. This means I am not consciously noting left right, instead my mind is noting left right based on the rhythm of the walking. Bhante, how do we avoid our mind getting in the same rhythm as walking?